Bumps on my tongue and back of throat

04/28/2006

Question:

I have bumps on the back of my toung and on my throght, they are not painfull. They have been there for about 3 weeks. When I brush the back of my toung (lightly) it is bleeding. Last week I went to my Doctor, because my glands started to swell in my neck, and I started to fill sick. I was prescribe amoxicellin(antibiotic). I fill better and my glands arn`t swollen anymore, but the bumps are still there. The Doctor did not seem to sure of himself when he prescribed my medication and he did not tell me what it is that I have. Will the antiobiotics cure this problem or is there something else I should be using? Are there any over the counter medications that I can use? What could this problem be(name), and what could it be caused by? Thanks

Answer:

There are normal bumps on the back upper aspect of the tongue (usually 8 to 10) called the circumvallate papilla.  These represent large taste buds, and they usually form a V-shape that points to the back of the throat.  (See links below for some previous answers.)

The skin that covers these bumps is quite thin and could be injured with a toothbrush quite easily, leading to bleeding.  It is also possible that you could have injured a superficial blood vessel in this area.

These bumps are almost certainly not related to the swollen glands of your neck, and I would not expect antibiotics to change them.  If the bleeding problem persists, however, you need to see a dentist or dental specialist to examine the problem area.  They have been trained more specifically than physicians to identify and treat diseases of the mouth.

Good luck!

Rash on tongue
Problem with tongue

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology
Associate Dean of Dentistry Administration