Breast Feeding

Problems getting milk

10/06/2006

Question:

I am 21, and i gave birth to a baby boy. They said that he was just fine and was taken off the oxygen the day after he was born, breathing on his own. I am trying to breast pump but i am not getting anything out of my breasts. i have tried the heating method, the massage method, shaking them with gravity, and nothing is working.

i am afraid that i wont be able to give him any milk. is there anything that i can do to help produce more milk. i get a lot of rest, drink plenty of water and milk, i just dont know what else to do. HELP PLEASE!!!

Answer:

Try putting the baby to the breast.

If he sucks well and you can hear swallowing, he is getting milk.

Try to relax and talk to him gently while holding him close with his nose on your breast and his belly facing yours.

Do not pull back or squeeze your breast constantly, but massage it toward the baby while he feeds.

The cross-cradle hold is the best.

Be sure his lower arm goes around your breast and not tucked between you and him.

If your breasts enlarged a bit during your pregnancy, it is likely that you will soon have enough milk for him.

Good luck.

Go to the Breast Feeding health topic, where you can:

Jeanne L Ballard, MD, FAAP, FABM Jeanne L Ballard, MD, FAAP, FABM
Professor Emeritus, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology