Stroke

What is the problem ?

05/03/2006

Question:

My father-in-law is 75 years old. He is mildly obese, non-smoker and hypertensive. He had vertigo and he was hospitalised He was advised MR Angio which revealed: Screening of the brain reveals confluent hyperintense areas involving both cerebellar hemispheres, vermis and right dorso-lateral aspect of medula oblongata. The finding is consistent with Infarctions. Impression: MR Angiography reveals Complete block of right posterior inferior cerebral artery; Atheroclerotic changes involving opecular and insular branches of middle cerebral arteries on either side He is a cardiac patient on Ramipril 10 HCTZ 12.5 Carvidilol 12.5. He was given Clopidogrel 75 with aspirin 75. Kindly guide us as to what is the problem. We are concerned because we stay in remote village. Can you tell us in details the likely complications and nature of ailment.

Answer:

I think it would be best if your questions are addressed directly by your physician.  However, I believe that I can make a few general comments.  Vertigo can be caused by a stroke that involves the brainstem, especially the dorso-lateral aspect of the medulla oblongata.  If the symptoms came on suddenly, and if they were involved with other neurologic symptoms, then this seems likely.  This neurologic syndrome is sometimes called Wallenberg's syndrome, and most commonly occurs when the posterior inferior cerebellar artery is occluded (as per the MR angio report).  For more information that should answer your questions, follow this well-written link:

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/wallenbergs/wallenbergs.htm

Go to the Stroke health topic, where you can:

Brett   Kissela, MD Brett Kissela, MD
Assistant Professor of Neurology
Director, Neurology Residency Program