Sarcoidosis

New treament options

05/12/2006

Question:

I`m a 37 year old African American female and I have suffering from Sarcoidosis for the past 12 yrs. At one point it had went into remission, then last year it came back worst than ever. My doctor is doing what he thinks is best, but it only relieves the symptoms for a little while. What would be the best course of treament. Maybe you could come up with something that hasn`t been done or tried.

Answer:

This is a very difficult question to answer. The doctor has to consider how the disease is affecting you and how you are responding to the treatments you are receiving, including side effects of the treatments. Sometimes I combine more than one treatment to reduce the side effects of each drug. The type of treatment really depends on how your disease is presenting...sarcoidosis is not the same in every person. African Americans tend to have more severe disease and tend to require stronger treatments.

Is your doctor an expert in the management of sarcoidosis? If not, I suggest that you ask your doctor to refer you to one. If the doctor will not do that, you can usually find an expert at one of the regional academic (University) medical centers.

Find a Sarcoidosis Specialist (Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research)

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine