11 year-old burping/belching

06/20/2006

Question:

Our 11 year-old son has been burping/belching frequently and for extended periods for about one month. He is not complaining of any symptoms of physical discomfort (no upset stomach, for example), nor does he seem to be unusually psychologically stressed. The burping/belching is not strictly correlated with eating, and his eating habits and diet are also not obviously contributing factors. Could this symptom be due to transient developmental changes in his anatomy? His build is normal. What other explanations should we consider?

Answer:

This may well be a developmental stage, I would discuss the situation with him and offer suggestions on methods to decrease the public display associated with such episodes.  If he is in any pain or discomfort I would discuss it with his primary care provider as a first start.

Michael Spigarelli, MD, PhD
Formerly, Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Internal Medicine