Dark spots on tongue

06/02/2006

Question:

I have dark spots on my tongue and I have had it for a long time. I thought that it came from me burning my tongue before but I saw someone yesterday that told me that it was from my kidneys. Is that true? If not tell me what it could be.

Answer:

Dark spots on the tongue can mean many things. Are they on the top or underneath the tongue? Are they regular shaped or irregular? Do they burn? Are they always the same color and shape or do they change? Most people have a variety of colors on their tongues. Taste buds can appear darker and redder than some other area and would appear as spots or freckles on the tongue.

I would recommend that you visit your dentist and have your tongue evaluated. If, as you say, it has been this way for years and your dentist has said nothing about it, it is probably just normal variations.

D Stanley Sharples, DDS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Primary Care Dentistry