Knot inside earlobe

05/19/2006

Question:

I have a hard knot inside my earlobe. It is very painful. I have had them before and they have went away but I want to know why I continue to get these knots and how do I make them go away.....

Answer:

From the limited history that you've provided, it would be reasonable to consider that you might have developed some type of subcutaneous (under the skin) cyst that periodically collects fluid, gets infected, etc. This type of thing is much more common in people who have had their ears pierced. While not a life-threatening condition, it can be recurrent and a nuisance. Draining the acutely swollen and/or infected "knot" can sometimes relieve the problem but the definitive way to resolve the issue is the have the "pocket" or cyst removed. Seeing your primary care physician, an otolaryngologist, general surgeon or dermatologist would be advisable.

Daniel   Choo, MD Daniel Choo, MD
Associate Professor and Director, Division of Otology/Neurotology