Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children)

Fetus kidney problem

05/22/2006

Question:

I am 18 weeks pregnant and just went for an ultrasound. I was told there was fluid in my baby`s left kidney. There also appears to be a flap in the middle of that kidney. The fluid around the baby appears to be normal. Is this cause for concern and how will it affect the baby?

Answer:

There have been many questions similar to yours that have been answered in this forum and you may wish to browse those answers. Enlarged kidneys are commonly detected on ultrasounds before birth. The majority of time, nothing serious is wrong. In a small number of children, there could be an obstruction or problem that will require treatment. The most important thing at this time is whether the amount of amniotic fluid around the baby is normal.

Enlarged kidneys are quite common and are not due to anything mothers have done during pregnancy. Evaluation needs to be done after the child is born.

Kidney problems on fetal ultrasound

Go to the Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Rama   Jayanthi, MD Rama Jayanthi, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Urology