Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Dental and Oral Health (Seniors)

Upper jaw tooth pain



I have been experiencing uncomfortableness/pain/burn along my upper right teeth for about 2 months. Sometimes it feels like where I had my wisdom tooth out years ago is burning. Aspirin doesn`t help and I can be distracred from the pain.It doesn`t keep me up at night. I saw 3 dentists (one a root canal speciaist) and none could really see anything definite/ Their best quess was that under a crown on my lower jaw, which never hurt, has a dark spot on the Xray and might need a root canal. Well after 2 hours in the chair & $1800 later, my upper teeth & part of the roof of my mouth still aches and burns. I`m concerned abour some kind of cyst or tumor. There is no swelling. Any ideas where to go next? I am trying a mouth gaurd, but that doesn`t seem to help either. Thanking you for any sssistance you can provide me.


What you need to do is see an oral surgeon or a maxillofacial surgeon.  You will need to take the x-rays from all previous dental visits to the appointment.  They may need to order a more specific radiograph called a cone beam CT scan ($400 to $500).  Usually burn sensations are present when there is some kind of nerve damage or alteration.

For more information:

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Seniors) health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Alfredo  Hernandez, DDS, MS Alfredo Hernandez, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Comprehensive Care
School of Dental Medicine
Case Western Reserve University