Metallic taste in my mouth

05/30/2006

Question:

The metallic taste began when I was sick with a cold, sore throat and cough and I was medicating myself with over the counter stuff like tylenol for cold and tussin for cough and also sucking on coldeze lozenges. Cold got worse and became bronchitis so went to urgent care and dr. gave me ketek pak antibiotic. metal taste worsened. went to my dr. about taste and he said to get thera toothpaste and thera oral rinse and acidopholys lozenges. Did that and now it`s been a week and still have metal taste. What should I do now? I`ve been brushing, rinsing and taking the acidopholys lozenges. Food doesn`t taste right with this metal taste in my mouth. What should I do?

Answer:

You might want to consider being seen by an oral pathologist.  The symptoms that you are describing could be caused by a condition known as burning mouth syndrome.  More information about this problem can be obtained at the website www.aaomp.org

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor Emeritus of Oral Pathology