Gynecology

metrorrhagia and tailbone pain, connection?

05/30/2006

Question:

Hi, I`m a 3o year old and I`ve had tailbone pain when sitting very long for atleast the last six months without having done anything to it, so I went to an orthopedic doctor who did an x-ray and found that I had a deformed tailbone. He said that was why it was hurting but why would it just start hurting now. I`m concerned if this could have a connection to my change in menstrual cycles. They keep getting closer together and the last two were only two weeks apart the one before that about three. I`ve always had normal ones before. I had a cold knife cone procedure done for high dysplasia in 1998. I recently had a normal pelvic and pap. I`m very worried about chance of cancer since it runs high in my family (my dad died of lung cancer and so did his dad). I have no insurance so I`m not sure what I should do or if I`m just being paranoid. I`d like to try to have another child as soon as possible (I have two) but I`m afraid if everything is okay to do so. Please Help! Thanks!!

Answer:

I can't think of a connection between a deformed tailbone and a change in cycles. You should specifically discuss this with your gynecologist who with a more detailed history and physical, should be able to help you with your symptoms. Having a regular history and physical is the most important thing you can do to prevent gynecological cancers. Fortunately, there is little relationship with lung cancer and family history.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education