Newborn and Infant Care

Drinking the first 3 weeks of pregnancy

06/19/2006

Question:

i was drinking and didn`t know i was pregnant... i believe i drank a my first two weeks i was pregnant the first week this is if i was at this time not 100 percent positive i did this the 1st week i had on 2 seperate days a 40 oz. beer then the second week i think i was pregnant i had rum and coke one day i drank a half pint of this then right after that i decided not to drink anymore cuz i knew i was trying to get pregnant and figured i should not drink no more... do u think my baby will b ok or did i do damage i hope not .... and i do not currently drink i am 12 weeks right now.. i even quit smoking ciggarette well tried i gave in yesterday and bought a pack.. i find it really difficult not to smoke ciggarette...

Answer:

Congratulation on kicking the habit!! Giving up smoking is a very difficult thing for you to do, and I comment you for doing so. You are giving your self a better health state, and your baby. Keep up the good work on this.

In regards to your use of alcohol during early pregnancy it is very difficult to say what impact this can have on your baby. We do know that alcohol is a teratogen. The full effect of alcohol on embryonic and fetal development is unknown. What is known is that it does affect the fetus and the amount of alcohol consumption may determine the full impact. In order to best assess your situation you should discuss you drinking during your early pregnancy wit your health care provider. She is in the best position to give you advice.

Again, congratulation on giving up smoking!

Go to the Newborn and Infant Care health topic, where you can:

Tina   Weitkamp, RNC, MSN Tina Weitkamp, RNC, MSN
Associate Professor of Clinical Nursing