Colon Cancer

Colon cancer or something else?

08/22/2006

Question:

About a month ago, I began experiencing dull back pain in my left side. Since I had fallen several weeks before that I chalked it up to a possible pulled muscle -or somethin to do with my monthly cycle. Two weeks ago it spread to my lower front and I had sharp pain in my ovary area. Additionally, I have had a change in my bowel movements--more frequent and much smaller.

Blood in urine and slight elevation in white blood cells. TV ultrasound showed nothing. Culture nothing. CT scan nothing. One course of macrobid--symptoms continued to worsen. Now on 8th day of Levaquin and pain has improved a lot, but still have unusual BMs--feel the need to urinate and have BM a lot. (FYI)--also had a rectal-vaginal fistula repair 18 years ago).

What else could this be beside colon cancer? Am very worried.

Answer:

The best way to answer your question "why do i feel this way" is to get a CT scan and a colonoscopy. You don't mention your age or family history- but there could be many causes of your symptoms. A CT scan and/or a colonoscopy will be the best way to find out.

Go to the Colon Cancer health topic, where you can:

Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD
Professor of Surgery
Chief of Colorectal Surgery Division