Exercise and Fitness

Exercises to remove `back fat`.

06/20/2006

Question:

I am a female and trying to loose 50 lbs. I am making healthy food choices and doing exercise daily. What specific exercises can I do to help get rid of `back fat`? I would like to reduce the fat on my flank areas and also upper back. Thank you for any advice.

Answer:

As much as we would all like to be able to lose unwanted weight in particular areas of our bodies, it is not possible to "spot reduce". In order to lose weight in any particular area, one must reduce overall body fat. Your genetic make-up determines where your body fat is stored. A sound program of cardiovascular activity for 20 - 30 minutes at an intensity within your target heart rate range, 3 - 5 days per week. Aerobic-type exercises (i.e., walking and cycling) will help to reduce unwanted body fat. Strength training 2 - 3 days per week and eating a nutritious, well-balanced diet, is the best way to shed unwanted body fat and maintain an appropriate body weight.

It is recommended to check with your physician before beginning any exercise program.

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Rachael   Dotson, BS Rachael Dotson, BS
Program Manager
Certified Johnny G Spinning Instructor
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley