Thyroid Diseases

Are These Symptoms of Hyperthyroidism?

06/19/2006

Question:

I am a 36 yr old female. I went to my internist to get help with what I thought was possible menopausal symptoms due to a partial hysterectomy in Nov. 04. The tests showed overactive thyroid. My internist referred me to an endocrinolgist, whom I haven`t seen yet. My internist then did another test and it came back normal. Last week I was overcome by heat (I've worked outside in AZ for 15 years) and went to the ER. Tests were normal range again. My symptoms are almost identical to hyperthyroid and it is in my family. What else could it be?

Answer:

There are some causes of an overactive thyroid that could be temporary - abnormal one time and normal the next - but it wouldn't go back and forth.  Since your last two thyroid tests were normal I don't think your symptoms are from your thyroid.  It's difficult for me to speculate about what else might be causing them.  I suggest you go back to your internist again.

Go to the Thyroid Diseases health topic, where you can:

Thomas A Murphy, MD, FACP, FACE Thomas A Murphy, MD, FACP, FACE