Vascular Surgery

Blew out a vein in my calf

07/05/2006

Question:

while running barefoot, almost 10 days ago, when I stepped down on my left leg, I felt a pop! I was laid up for 2 days in pain, but no swelling or discoloration. Went to the Dr 2 days later and ultrasound showed nothing, so they treated it as a torn muscle. Well, it is now almost 10 days and my leg is swollen and black and blue from the calf to the foot and spreading around te leg. I went back to the Dr yesterday and I am seeing a vascular dr today. My question is, I am just finishing up with chemo and radiation for breast cancer, could this have an cause behind why this would happen. Are my veins weakened because of my treatment????

Answer:

Bruising often shows up several days after trauma. It can often track further down the leg as you are up and walking around. This is not dangerous and is expected. I would be sure the ultrasound looked at your veins as well to determine that you did not have a deep vein thrombosis. I would otherwise not expect your veins to be weakened just due to your treatment.

Go to the Vascular Surgery health topic, where you can:

Amy B Reed, MD Amy B Reed, MD