Reaction to sun

08/29/2006

Question:

My daughter went to the local pool without proper skin protectant, within two days she broke with "splotches" on her face, neck, and chest that resembled patches of exzema and she complained of the patches itching and the touch of her skin remained warm for several days.

I applied noxzema, to her face and used hydrocortizone on her neck and chest.

Could this have been a reaction to the sun and what would have been the best way to care for her skin as a result.

Answer:

Without seeing her, it is impossible to comment as to whether this was a reaction to the sun, a reaction to sunscreen, or to anything else that may have been in contact with her skin. It sounds like it started two days after her pool exposure. It also sounds like from your note that the rash has resolved.

If she wasn't uncomfortable with the rash (no itching, pain, or tightness) and it resolved with your treatment, what you did for her didn't hurt. If it occurs again, she should see a board certified dermatologist for diagnosis.

Pranav   Sheth, MD Pranav Sheth, MD