Breast Feeding

Let down problems

09/15/2006

Question:

I`m just had surgery and my milk supply went down considerably. I started taking fenugreek for three days and that helped and also was nursing my daughter as much as possbile. I`m now back at work and before I was pumping 6-8 oz every 4 hours.

Now I`m pumping 2-3 oz every 4 hours. I`m having troubles letting down. The reason I think it`s the let down is because once I finally relax I`ll start pumping pretty good. I can`t sit there for 30-45 minutes twice a day at work waiting to relax. I`ve taken pictures of my baby in there with me, taken books and nothing seems to work. Do you have any advice?

Answer:

One thing that has helped lots of moms is to place a warm, quite warm, moist wash cloth, folded in 4, over the breasts for about 5 minutes prior to pumping. Also, feet should be elevated or propped up, arms supported by arm rests or pillows, and maybe some soft music in your ear phones, a cool drink on hand, and thoughts of pleasant far away places in your mind.

It is equally important that your pump not cause you any pain.

Stress, worry, guilt or concern about how long it takes, teasing by co-workers, or watching the flow too closely can also slow the let down reflex.

Best of luck!

Go to the Breast Feeding health topic, where you can:

Jeanne L Ballard, MD, FAAP, FABM Jeanne L Ballard, MD, FAAP, FABM
Professor Emeritus, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology