Braces

Wearing my old retainers?

07/05/2006

Question:

I havent worn my retainers for years and my teeth have slowely shifted apart. I can still fit it in, so I recently started wearing it at night. How long will it take to see results? I really just want to wear it at night. Even though I feel like it is fitting in a little awkward should it still work? The metal bar keeps sliding up towards the gum line since it fits there better. Is it still going to move my teeth back? My dentist mentioned to me to use the retainer to fix the gap if I could still fit it in.

Answer:

Unfortunately, night time wearing of the retainer will probably not correct your problem.  It sounds like you have had enough change to require some realignment.  It is quite possible that this would be in the form of short term treatment followed by a new retainer.  I suggest that you at least return to your orthodontist and confirm my suspicions and determine what it would take to achieve your goals.

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS
Professor Emeritus - Clinical, Associate of Dentistry