Swelling

07/18/2006

Question:

I was sunburned, worse part was my legs. I have no blisters but swelling. The swelling has moved beyond the sun exposed area. I have been taking Ibeuprofin. which seems to be helping some. Is this something I should be concerned about. Never has this happened before.

Answer:

From your description you apparently have a first degree sunburn, and edema is not uncommon.  In 48 to 72 hours, these lesions usually diminish and there may be desquamation, that is scaling, as the damaged skin flakes off.  Cool water compresses are quite soothing, and if available, 1% hydrocortisone lotion or ointment is also very soothing.  The use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories is appropriate but stay within the guidelines printed on the bottle. 

If redness and swelling persist you should see your primary physician or your board certified dermatologist for further assistance. 

Charles L Heaton, MD