Lump on inside of cheek

07/07/2006

Question:

I have a lump on the inside of my cheek. About four years ago it was checked by the family doctor and he told me not to worry about it. I feel it has grown larger. It is the same color as the rest of my cheek and feels quite soft and flexible. No pain or discomfort. I would like you imput. Thanks.

Answer:

It is difficult to determine from the information given what this lump might be.  Sometimes the opening for the parotid salivary gland may appear as a lump in the cheek, in the area that would lie against your molar teeth.  

Another common lump is called an irritation fibroma.  This is often found on the more forward part of the cheek often just inside the lips.  It is caused by the irritation of the canine tooth or by repeated biting of this area of the cheek. It is not a precursor to anything and is quite benign.  There are other possibilities also.  

The best way to determine the type of lump is to visit your dentist.  This is especially important if you think that it is getting larger.  Your physician is not nearly as familiar with oral lesions as your dentist.  Your dentist should be able to give you peace of mind by correctly identifying the lump.

D Stanley Sharples, DDS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Primary Care Dentistry