Erectile Dysfunction (ED)

Inability to reach climax

07/11/2006

Question:

I too often have a problem reaching climax. I can achieve an erection without any problems; my wife is a willing partner and sexually attractive; however, too often, even before penetration I begin to worry that I will fail in the thrill of climax. I do take medications for depression, Zoloft and Wellbutrin and have read that they can be a problem with ED. If this is the case, why can I reach climax maybe once a week for three weeks and then fail in the next thee or four times. I exercise, am healthy, although I am somewhat overweight. I can not blame the weight since I am able to achieve maybe about half of the time. I believe that my anxiety re: reaching climax is a real problem. We have tried many things, but nothing seems to have much of an effect. I can feel really in the mood and still fail. This problem really upsets me...any thoughts? thanks

Answer:

It sounds like the medications may be the problem. Perhaps you can speak to your primary care physician or psychiatrist and get off the prozac, or reduce the dose. The Wellbutrin theoretically should not affect ejaculation.

Go to the Erectile Dysfunction (ED) health topic, where you can:

Allen D Seftel, MD Allen D Seftel, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology