Sore in back of mouth

07/11/2006

Question:

Hi, I have what looks like a canker sore on the back of the roof of my mouth (top of throat area), just to the left of the uvula. It is a couple mm wide, white, surrounded by red. I`m not sure how long it`s been there but maybe 2 or 3 days. It`s a little painful but not excruciating; it doesn`t seem to affect eating or anything but I can definitely feel it when swallowing etc.

I get very concerned with anything in my mouth b/c I have chewed tobacco; however as I have taken methotrexate I sometimes get canker sores as well, and I have had a little bit of a cold recently. Should I be worried about this issue or is it "normal"?

Answer:

This could be any one of several problems, although oral cancer would be unlikely.  If the sore lasts for more than two weeks, then you should be seen by an oral pathologist.

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor of Oral Pathology