Black worms in baby feces

07/17/2006

Question:

Hi there, I searched the web on this topic and I came upon a similar question on your site: 06/19/2006 01:59AM my baby has, what seems to be little black worms in her poop. What can it be?

Both question and answer were vague!

My baby is 5 months old. She has been on half formula half breast milk since birth. We have started to introduce small amounts solids over the past two weeks. babyrice, steamed pear, carrot, peas, colliflour, potato. We gave her one third of a mashed banana three days ago - she did not like it. She has had little black things in her stool for the past two days. (four or five stools). I am concerned that they may be worms. They are like lines between 3 and 10 millimetres in length, sometimes curled. She also seems to be straining a lot and appears to have stomach cramps, but she is definitely not constipated. Her stool is her normal yellowish. I dont thing that they are contained in anything we fed her. Regards.

Answer:

The difficulty with answering questions on line is that we never get to examine the patient, ask additional questions or see what is being described.  This tends to make most answers vague as that is the best advice that can be given online.

From what you describe, based upon the timing of introducing foods, it makes sense that it is related to the food.  Both the apparent cramping and black things in the stool.  To reassure you, please take your daughter to her primary care provide with a sample of her stool and discuss what each could be.

Michael Spigarelli, MD, PhD
Formerly, Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Internal Medicine