Colorectal Diseases

Ulcerative colitis diagnosis and male yeast

07/21/2006

Question:

Hi, I was recently diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis after a bout of severe bloody diarrhea with abdominal pain. I was admitted to the hospital and recieved CT Scan and Upper Endoscopy and Colonoscopy with biopsy.

I had 3 tests for C-Diff, the first negative, the second positive, third negative.

In the one year period before hospitalization, I had generally not been feeling well, and developed a dry, flaky skin on my glans penis and inner foreskin (uncircumcised 26 year old male). The dry skin becomes more pronounced shortly after erection and resembles skin peeling from suburn on my foreskin, and as small circular areas or spots of dry skin on the glans, as well as what appears to be thin skin or small wrinkles on the glans.

A doctor looked at my penis and precribed Nystatin. I took full course and it seemed to help, especially on the foreskin but it came back. The doctor in the hospital once again gave me nystatin (even though I told him that`s what the other guy gave me) and here I am again, the dry skin is back.

My new primary doctor looked at it (before hospitalization for Ulcerative Colitis) and offered no real help. I suggested trying 1. hydrocortisone and later 2. clotrimazole and he agreed. I applied the first dose of OTC hydrocortisone today.

During the same period before hospitalization, I noticed a "white hairy tongue" and the dental hygenist told me I needed to brush it, which I began doing to no avail. I also had a lot of dental problems suddenly.

After coming out of the hospital, I finished my dose of Flagyl (Metronidazole), and my tongue finally started clearing up (it had been even worse during the flagyl treatment which didn`t surprise me). Now my tongue is better than ever and improving.

I am currently taking Colazal and tapering off of Xifaxan (Rifaxamin). Bowel symptoms greatly improving.

Please help as I am clueless and worried about possible Syphilis/Chlamydia/Psoriasis/Eczema/Yeast etc...

The appearance of my penis will make sexual relationship impossible, especially until I find a definitve answer!

Thank You!

Answer:

Inflammation of different epithelial surfaces is not uncommon in patients with ulcerative colitis- eyes, urethra, skin, etc. The degree of inflammation often reflects the intensity of the inflammation in your colon, and often resolves with good medical treatment of the colon disease. Occasionally surgery is required to remove the colon, if the extra-intestinal manifestations are unmanageable.That being said, if you are worried about the possibility of having a sexually transmitted disease, you should be tested for such- even thought they are not related to the presence of active UC.

Go to the Colorectal Diseases health topic, where you can:

Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD
Professor of Surgery
Chief of Colorectal Surgery Division