Thyroid Diseases

Unexplained Lump on Neck

Recently I have developed a lump on my neck, but have no idea for its cause. I have gained weight in the last 2 months esp in my trunk (but i have also been eating high calorie foods). While I previously wanted to get testsed for thyroid (since I had extremely low resistance to cold), I never got it done. Could this lump on my neck be due to hormonal changes? The lump feels quite hard, and not like fat.

Depending on the size and appearance of the lump, as well as your age, this could just be from overall weight gain, it could be a sign of osteoporosis with compression of the bones in the spine, or it could possibly be a sign of a rare disorder called "Cushing's Syndrome." It doesn't sound much like a thyroid problem.

Other findings that might suggest Cushing's Syndrome would be:

The testing for Cushing's Syndrome is fairly simple, and it would be reasonable for you to ask your doctor if he or she thinks this would be a good idea.

Go to the Thyroid Diseases health topic, where you can:

Thomas A Murphy, MD, FACP, FACE Thomas A Murphy, MD, FACP, FACE