Thyroid Diseases

Unexplained Lump on Neck

08/11/2006

Question:

Recently I have developed a lump on my neck, but have no idea for its cause. I have gained weight in the last 2 months esp in my trunk (but i have also been eating high calorie foods). While I previously wanted to get testsed for thyroid (since I had extremely low resistance to cold), I never got it done. Could this lump on my neck be due to hormonal changes? The lump feels quite hard, and not like fat.

Answer:

Depending on the size and appearance of the lump, as well as your age, this could just be from overall weight gain, it could be a sign of osteoporosis with compression of the bones in the spine, or it could possibly be a sign of a rare disorder called "Cushing's Syndrome." It doesn't sound much like a thyroid problem.

Other findings that might suggest Cushing's Syndrome would be:

The testing for Cushing's Syndrome is fairly simple, and it would be reasonable for you to ask your doctor if he or she thinks this would be a good idea.

Go to the Thyroid Diseases health topic, where you can:

Thomas A Murphy, MD, FACP, FACE Thomas A Murphy, MD, FACP, FACE