Skin allergy

08/10/2006

Question:

I am very much exposed to dust everyday because I have to travel dusty road going to school. But then before everytime I went home, I often wash my face with water and soap minimize my pimples on my face.But then I think washing is not effective.What should I do with my pimples without buying expensive medicines?Help me!Thank you

Answer:

It is unlikely that you truly have a skin allergy, but rather have acne vulgaris.  Acne can begin as early as 8 or 9 years of age, and in some cases even earlier; and may persist through even middle age.  The pimples that you have on your face can be due to acne, they can be due to various kinds of bacteria, and even a few skin fungi.  To make an accurate diagnosis you must see a board certified dermatologist.  Once the accurate diagnosis is established, then proper treatment can be instituted. 

Charles L Heaton, MD