Obesity and Weight Management

Obesity

08/16/2006

Question:

I am not that big but then still compared to some women in our school, I feel very insecured with my body.I am 5"2 tall,and having a weight of 58 kilograms. I have tried fasting myself only to lose weight but then it is not effective.I really love to eat rice.In other words I am a "rice eater". I am afraid that someday I cannot control my body anymore and I may get obese.Help me

Answer:

I agree with you that you are 'not that big', so your goal shouldn't be trying to lose weight. If your body image isn't what you would like, you might try reshaping your body somewhat through exercise, primarily strength training. This may change your body composition to be less fat and higher lean body mass. This will make you firmer and more compact because 1 pound of muscle takes up less space than 1 pound of fat.

The other advantage to exercise is that by increasing your lean body mass, you increase your basal metabolism. When you do this, you can eat more calories and not gain weight. If you keep your calorie intake the same, you may actually lose a couple of pounds.

Your food intake goal should be to eat a balanced, healthy diet; and that definitely could include rice (make at least ½ of it brown rice, which is a whole grain with more fiber than enriched white rice). A 62 inch tall woman who is moderately active (30-60 minutes of moderate physical activity above normal daily activity) and is between 30 and 50-years-old, can consume about 2000 calories. If you go to ChooseMyPlate.gov you will see that this translates into:

plus abut 267 calories to spend as you would like (more fat, a little sweetener, more of any of the food groups, or extra rice).

Portion control and food preparation are the keys to not going over your calorie limit. Use ChooseMyPlate.gov to track your calories eaten for a few days to see how much you are eating. You can also record your physical activity. This web site will also give you ideas on how to better estimate portions and will give you lists of foods that are in each of the food groups.

So, overall, to keep the pounds from creeping up over time, make a lifestyle change to keep your physical activity high. Physical activity tends to elevate endorphins - those 'feel good' hormones that improve your outlook on life.

Go to the Obesity and Weight Management health topic, where you can:

Sharron   Coplin, MS, RD, LD Sharron Coplin, MS, RD, LD
Former Lecturer
Food & Nutrition
College of Education and Human Ecology