Acne

08/14/2006

Question:

I am very much exposed to dust everyday because I have to travel dusty road going to school. But then before everytime I went home, I often wash my face with water and soap minimize my pimples on my face.But then I think washing is not effective.What should I do with my pimples without buying expensive medicines?Help me!Thank you

Answer:

It is unlikely that your exposure to dust is causing your acne. It is a myth that not washing your face enough can cause acne. However, acne is by many things, most importantly genetics, but also hormones, diet, life style, stress. Washing your face 1-2 times a day is all that is really needed unless you are getting constant dirt or dust. For that, you can wash with a mild soap cleanser.

Over the counter therapies such as benzoyl peroxide creams and gels, as well as over the counter washes (acne washes) with salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide may be helpful. You can ask the pharmacist for the stores cheapest generic versions of these.

If you acne does not improve, or if it worsens, you should see a board certified physician or dermatologist.

Pranav   Sheth, MD Pranav Sheth, MD