Ear thumping

08/21/2006

Question:

About 2 months ago I started having a "thumping" in my right ear. I did nothing unusual or out of the ordinary for this to occur. There was no trauma, water in my ear or anything I can attribute this to. The thumping/throbbing sound is not constant nor am I in any pain. I believe it may have shifted to my left ear a time or 2 but I am not certain. There is no drainage or build up. No congestion, dizziness or balance problems. I just have the thumping and it is really starting to get on my nerves! I would appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks!

Answer:

I would recommend that you see an ear specialist (otologist) and get a hearing test.  This symptom you are experiencing may be due to nothing serious or could be due to a benign tumor of your ear.

Ravi N Samy, MD, FACS Ravi N Samy, MD, FACS
Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Skull Base Surgery Fellowship, Director of Adults Cochlear Implantation Program