Menopause

Hot flashes at age 83

08/14/2006

Question:

How can I relieve frequent hot flashes that have altered my quality of life at age 83? I had cancer of the uterus 25 years ago and cntinued on estrogen without problems. I had breast cancer (successful recovery) 3 years ago but this new doctor would not approve of estrogen. I am really suffering now and avoid social and family events because of it. Can you help me?

Answer:

You might try discussing with your physician the use of gabapentin (Neurontin) or one of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs).  Some of them have been demonstrated to decrease hot flashes.  These products will not totally eliminate hot flashes.  Also review our information on practical measures to reduce hot flashes.  The natural course of hot flashes is to decrease in intensity and frequency over time, but some women may have one now and then forever.

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology