Gum Diseases

Black gums

09/08/2006

Question:

my son was a meth user but never had a problem with his gums turning black . he has been in jail for 7 months and in the last couple of months his lower gum in front of the teeth has turned black as charcoal .. this has never happened before and he has not used any kind of drugs since he has been in jail .. the dentist in the jail told him it was from calicum build up .. is this right or what do you think it could be ... my son said it was not sore and his teeth are very white now since he does not smoke anymore but what would cause this to happen since he has not been on any type of drugs in over 7 months .. sincerely, a very concerned mother

Answer:

Meth causes several changes in the oral cavity including characteristics of saliva, etc. Thus, after its elimination, things may start turning back to physiological levels. Your dentist may perform a dental cleaning and see how the tissues are responding.  If this is because of calculus build up, the problem can be eliminated by regular dental cleanings. If not, a biopsy may be indicated to give a differential diagnosis.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology