Colorectal Diseases

16 year old with blood in stool - no pain

08/29/2006

Question:

My 16 year old son has had blood in this stool for 2 weeks. He just recently told us. He has no pain. Other wise he is healthy. He is working out a lot and is gaining weight. It appears to be muscle weight. My brother (50 years old) and mother (78 years old) have recently had colon cancer. They had no bleeding. What could be causing the problem? Must he have a scoping?

Answer:

The first thing he needs is a thorough proctologic evaluation. With the recent weight gain and lifting exercises, he may simply have a fissure or irritated hemorrhoid. If this evaluation is negative, he may well need a colonoscopy- in view of your family history. I hope that you and your siblings have heeded the warning and had your colons evaluated. There may be a role for genetic testing of your brothers' tumor to see if a DNA abnormality can be pinpointed.

Go to the Colorectal Diseases health topic, where you can:

Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD
Professor of Surgery
Chief of Colorectal Surgery Division