Menopause

Menopausal babies

09/06/2006

Question:

my period stopped over 3 years ago, i went through all the hot flashes and menopausal symptoms but i have met someone and we are getting married and i wondered if it is possible to get pregnant through medical means and to carry a child to term and what are the possible complications to the child as well as to myself?

Answer:

You should see an infertility specialist about this issue.  The physician should assess if you are completely menopausal.  Some women are in menopause for awhile, but then start cycling again.  The older you are, the less likely that is to happen.  If you are menopausal, it is unlikely that you will produce any more eggs.     Age is an important factor in fertility. 

Depending on your basic health and age, you could possibly carry a baby created from your husband's sperm and a donor egg.  People would do well to consider how old they will be as the child is growing up and to decide if that would be in the child's best interest.

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology