Dental and Oral Health (Seniors)

Elderly client with underbite

10/23/2006

Question:

My father is 84 years old and has an underbite. About 20 years ago he was advised that he must allow all his teeth to fall out or be pulled before he could have dentures and that he would need jaw surgery to correct the underbite.

He has been repeatedly told by his dentist that he could not have a partial. He now has only upper and lower front teeth and is 84 years old. Eating is a challenge. What procedures are currently available for elderly clients with this type of problem?

Answer:

There is a possibility to place some implants and make new partials, complete dentures, or even fixed dentures.  It depends on how much bone he still has in his jaws.  He will need to be evaluated by a Prosthodontist with some images of the bone that is left (Radiographs, CT scand).

I don’t know how severe the overbite problem is, but sometimes it can be compensated with new dentures in order to avoid surgery.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Seniors) health topic, where you can:

Alfredo  Hernandez, DDS, MS Alfredo Hernandez, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Comprehensive Care
School of Dental Medicine