I can`t get my ears to pop.

09/08/2006

Question:

Hi, about 4 days ago I woke up with my ears plugged,I have no pain they are just plugged up. I can hear other people talk but when I talk it sounds muffled and its so annoying, I have tryed to plug my nose and blow but still they wont pop. I have pretty bad allergys do you think that could have something to do with this problem? thank you

Answer:

Yes.  Allergies can cause significant congestion that in turn may cause dysfunction of the eustachian tubes.  The eustachian tubes are responsible for maintaining appropriate ventilation and aeration of the middle ear space.  I would suggest a trial of allergy medication, but if the problem does not improve, I would recommend an evaluation by an ear, nose, and throat physician. 

Allen M Seiden, MD Allen M Seiden, MD
Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Division of Rhinology and Sinus Disorders, Director of University Taste and Smell Center, Director of University Sinus and Allergy