Cancer Genetics

Interpreting Test Results

I was recently told I had an ANA(antinuclear antibodies) of 1:80. Now I am told I have an IGG(Immunoglobulin)count of 488 which has dropped from 511 in the past year. I have a sister with Lupus, my Mom died of Multiple Myloma, another sister died of Polymyositis and another sister had MS amongst other immune deficiency disorders. Apparently I have inherited the disorder. However one of the doctors I saw said that the ANA is irrelevant. Although he referred me to a hematologist/oncologist who I haven`t seen yet. Wouldn`t the two figures be related in some way? Thank you so much!

Your question is best answered by seeing the hematologist.  He or she will be able to discuss with you in greater detail what values are important and/or relevant to your health.  It is rarely helpful to try to second guess about medical information.  You need accurate information that will be useful in managing your healthcare.  I encourage to make the appointment.

Go to the Cancer Genetics health topic, where you can:

Duane D Culler, PhD, MS Duane D Culler, PhD, MS
Clinical Instructor of Genetics