Dental and Oral Health (Children)

My poor son is in pain.

09/13/2006

Question:

My sons father let his teeth get really bad to where five teeth had to be pulled out and the rest are getting capped. We are in a custody trial, what can I do to help the situation? Where can I get more information? Is it considered neglect if he waited until it was way to late to save his teeth? Please let me know.

Answer:

Dental pain in children can be a source of frustration for both the child and parent. First and foremost ,what your child needs is a "Dental Home" - a place where all his oral healthcare needs can be met. This can be a private dental office, a hospital dental clinic, or a dental school. Your son's teeth need to be diagnosed, treated, and followed up to ensure no new cavities form. Following a clinical exam of your child, the dentist can make recommendations on how to prevent new cavities and treat the ones he already has.

Issues such as how to handle any dental pain, continuity of care, and dental neglect can only be addressed after a clinical examination of your child by a qualified professional.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Sarath  Thikkurissy, DDS, MS Sarath Thikkurissy, DDS, MS
Associate Professor of Pediatric Dentistry