Small, hard blister under my tongue

09/27/2006

Question:

Hello

I have a small hard clear blister under my tongue. It is just before the tip and dead central. It is not sore or red at all, just annoying as I can feel it in my mouth. If I pop it, it will return in a few days or so. If I leave it eventually it will pop and leave a very small hole only just bigger than I pin head. But now there is another one just appeared by the side. I am young and healthy, but wonder if you could give me some advice or tell me what these blister bumps are?

Thanks

Answer:

Very likely, the "blister" like lesion which you describe is the result of salivary duct that occasionally becomes occluded (blocked). This is perhaps due to some minor trauma which periodically re-occurs. When the saliva duct does become occluded, the saliva gland will continue to produce saliva, temporary producing a "blister" like (fluid-filled space) appearance. The pressure of the fluid makes the lesion feel hard until it ruptures, releasing the fluid, and the cycle continues.

Nevertheless, I suggest having a physician or dentist check the lesion to make certain that there is no secondary condition which may be more serious which is the cause.

Dale S Kanner, DDS Dale S Kanner, DDS
Clinical Associate Professor of Primary Care Dentistry