Braces

Concerns regarding underbite

10/09/2006

Question:

Hi, I went to see an orthodontist concerning my underbite to get information on what my options are for correcting it. I`m 20 years old, and I am not sure if I want to go through with everything right now... but I do know that I want to get braces and go through with the surgery eventually.

Is it better to do it now, rather than later? And if I wait, would I be doing permanent damage to my jaws? (I was told that my upper teeth would be moved forward, and that my bottom jaw would be moved backward, my wisdom teeth would be removed, and that the jaw-cracking and "crunching" would obviously stop by the end of the process).

In addition, is there the possibility of the underbite relapsing after the surgery and braces? Thank You.

Answer:

You have a lot of good questions. The decision for timing is yours. You will need some after surgery care, so that should be in place. At age 20 you have your youth going for you, and so the healing process should be faster. The bringing of the upper teeth forward should enhance your looks.

Whether one can say that jaw cracking and popping will cease is not a guarantee, but may well improve things. One way to test this would be to construct a splint, worn full time so as to take the current bite out of the equation.

I hope this answers your questions, but if not, you may feel free to ask further.

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS
Professor Emeritus - Clinical, Associate of Dentistry