Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Gum Diseases

Localized gingivitis home treatment?



Hi - I have a slightly larger gap between two teeth in the front of my mouth that often gets food stuck in it. In the past the gum between the teeth (the sulcus?) occasionally (maybe once a year at most) would inflame for maybe a day and then be fine, apparently irritated or mildly infected and then recovering.

About a week ago I believe food was stuck in there, though I`m not sure. Regardless, the gum only on the inside of the mouth directly above the gap inflamed and was moderately painful. Though it is slightly less painful now and the level of swelling comes and goes, it doesn`t seem to be going away. The gum has receded slightly. Occasionally it seemed that a small amount of pus was coming from behind the gum (judging by the taste). The inflamed area is localized, roundish, and about the size of a nearby tooth. It bulbs out a few mm.

I don`t have insurance or much money, so I haven`t seen a doctor, which would obviously be wise.

I have generally excellent dental health, always brush twice a day and floss once a day. 31 yro, no prior gum problems. Since the inflammation I`ve been brushing a bit more, flossing a few times a day, poking around (gently) with drug-store bought dental picks in case there was food stuck under the gum, flushing the area with H2O2 several times a day, and generally wondering what the best course of action would be to try to take care of this at home (and at what point I need to figure out how to pay for a dentist/periodontist.)



You are giving a story of periodontal abscess. Yes, probably you have something stuck under the gum line. If there is still pus coming from it, you could not get it out.  I do not recommend you poking further because you are causing further problems.

You need to go a dentist. A dentist will give you local anesthetics and do deep cleaning (cleaning root surface under the gum line and possibly doing some soft tissue curettage.)

For more information:

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology
College of Dentistry
The Ohio State University