Inherited Disorders and Birth Defects

Is my family crazy, or do we all have

09/28/2006

Question:

I am writing to you due to the recent diagnosis of my youngest son with autism.  He is also being tested for Fragile X. The more I read the more I believe my entire family has Fragile X. The moods, physical characteristics, etc. My question is: Is a physical deformity, ie. no fingers on a hand, related at all to the Fragile X s/s, or is a charactistic of any genetic disorder?

Answer:

The abnormality you are asking about, no fingers on a hand, is not associated with Fragile X syndrome. Someone with Fragile X could have an additional isolated birth defect such as missing fingers. However, there is no information that says these two things are related.

If you have not already done so, I would recommend you talk to a geneticist or a genetic counselor regarding Fragile X. It is a very complex disorder and the inheritance is also very complex. You can ask your doctor for a referral or you can locate a genetics clinic near you at the National Society of Genetic Counselors’ Resource center - the web site is below.

National Society of Genetic Counselors Resource Center

Go to the Inherited Disorders and Birth Defects health topic, where you can:

Anne   Matthews, RN, PhD Anne Matthews, RN, PhD
Associate Professor of Genetics