Obesity and Weight Management

Weight

10/02/2006

Question:

Is there just one weight scale for all groups? I`m 5`10 250 lbs 40 year old black woman who takes Depo shots. I used to weight 160 looked bad so what`s the right weight for me? What`s a healthily weight?

Answer:

To get a range for your appropriate weight, we use a measure called the body mass index (BMI), which is a measure of how much adipose or fat tissue you have. The BMI can be more helpful than just weight alone because it takes into account the appropriate weight for your height. Naturally, taller people will weigh more than someone shorter. The BMI can be divided in to several groups:

Underweight = <18.5
Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
Overweight = 25-29.9
Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

Based on the height and weight that you provided, your BMI = 35.9; putting you in the obese category. The weight range (for your height) that you should be in, in order to have a BMI in the normal weight range, should be between 155- 173 lbs.

Now one factor that is having a significant role in your weight is the DEPO shot. There is a known 5-10 pound weight gain that can occur while you are using it. However, it is a very good form of contraception. Therefore, talk over with your doctor the risk and benefits of staying on the DEPO.

See the NetWellness site for the BMI calculator if you would like to be able to figure out your BMI.

Go to the Obesity and Weight Management health topic, where you can:

Esa M Davis, MD, MPH Esa M Davis, MD, MPH
Adjunct Assistant Professor of Family Medicine