Breast Feeding

Leakage?

10/17/2006

Question:

I`m 18 and had my period a week ago, it was regular and normal. My boyfriend, after stimulating my nipples, found leakage. I went home and again, with stimulation, i am finding clear-whiteish liquid discharging from both nipples.

Can I be pregnant though I`ve had my period and is this a sign? I`ve read it can be stressed? It only happens when I do something to both nipples.

Answer:

It is possible to have periods while pregnant, but pregnancy usually makes the breasts tender and slightly larger.

Leakage in early pregnancy is rare, and leakage prior to pregnancy is very rare, possibly abnormal.

My suggestion would be to see an endocrinologist who can measure your prolactin levels.

An elevated level outside of pregnancy might indicate a prolactinoma, which is a benign tumor of the anterior pituitary gland.

Go to the Breast Feeding health topic, where you can:

Jeanne L Ballard, MD, FAAP, FABM Jeanne L Ballard, MD, FAAP, FABM
Professor Emeritus, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology