Bumps in mouth/Itching palate

10/06/2006

Question:

I am not sure what is wrong with me! For the past few months I have had a very itchy palate. It itches so bad that I have to find something hard to scratch it. I usually end up with long red scratches on my palate. This is very aggravating!

I also get these small, hard, clear bumps on my gums at the back of my mouth (where my wisdom teeth should be). I try to burst them with my fingernails by scratching them but they come back in about ten minutes. I have chronic sinusitis and have iron deficiency anemia. Do you have any clue what this could be?

Answer:

Although I am not 100% positive, my suspicion is that you have a chronic yeast infection. An itchy feeling is one of the descriptions some of my patients give when the infection involves the roof of their mouth (palate). A dentist or dental specialist will need to see the area and the diagnosis may be readily apparent. If not, a scraping or cytology of the palate can be obtained and sent to a laboratory to identify the yeast microorganisms. In some cases, a biopsy may be needed to obtain a definitive diagnosis.

In most cases, a palatal yeast infection will clear up nicely with a 7 to 10-day course of antifungal medication.

Good luck!

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology
Associate Dean of Dentistry Administration