Dental Hygiene

Missing teeth in older toddler & pointy teeth

10/09/2006

Question:

My 3-year-old twin girls still do not have their "fang" teeth. They are 43 months old to be exact. We saw the dentist earlier this month & she barely looked into their mouth`s. They were scared, and they cried, so she skipped the cleaning, said they were cavity-free and pretty much rushed us out of the office. I`m hoping you can explain why they are still missing teeth. Also, one of the twins has pointy bottom front teeth. They`re not chipped. That`s the way they`ve been since they came in. Why? And is this an indication of what her permanent teeth will look like?

Answer:

Most baby teeth are all erupted by age 3.  That is only an average!  Some get them all in at age 2 and some not until age 4 or later.  It is not uncommon to get them in later.  Some teeth erupt “peg” or pointy.  This is not an indication of how their permanent teeth will erupt. 

If you are not happy with the care you received at your dentist, I would let them know and/or seek another dentist.  Pediatric dentists have special training just with children, and I would recommend seeing one of them for your children’s care.

Go to the Dental Hygiene health topic, where you can:

Michele P Carr, RDH,  MA Michele P Carr, RDH, MA
Associate Professor of Dental Hygiene
Associate Professor of HS Nursing Quality & Research