Anal skin tag

10/30/2006

Question:

Hello. I have a sentinel anal skin tag that is the result of an old hemorrhoid. My family doctor diagnosed this as I went to him thinking it was a hemorrhoid itself. He did the anal exam with the glove and states I do not currently have any hemorrhoids and that the skin tag is nothing to worry about. The problem is that the skin tag bothers me- it`s not painful or itchy or anything, I can just feel it there. The doctor said that surgery is not a good idea. My question is, what can I do? I have no bleeding or anything like that, the only problem is I can feel it in there most of the time(especially at work when I`m sitting all day) Am I stuck with this for the rest of my life? Do skin tags shrink or every go away on their own? What can I do to get rid of this feeling? Thanks for your help!

Answer:

If your physician is correct and this is a sentinel anal skin tag, it may shrink some but probably will not go away.  I would suggest you seek the care of an anorectal surgeon. 

Charles L Heaton, MD