Breast Cancer

Breast nodule

10/30/2006

Question:

I WENT AND HAD A MAMMOGRAM 1 WEEK AGO I WAS CALLED BY BY PCP AND TOLD THAT THERE WAS A DENSE AREA IN RIGHT BREAST AND I NEEDED TO GO FOR ADDITIONAL PICTURES AND A ULTRASOUND. I HAD MY GYN ONCOLOGIST TO CALL AND GET REPORT AND HIS NURSE SAID THAT THERE WAS A NODULE IN RIGHT BREAST. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? I HAVE BEEN EXPERIENCING SOME PAIN IN THE RIGHT BREAST IN THE PAST AND NOW. I AM 46 YEARS OLD W/ FAMILY HISTORY OF BREAST CANCER. I HAD AN HYSTERECTOMY AT 29 FOR CERVICAL CANCER AND I STILL HAVE MY OVARIES. I DO NOT GET A MONTHLY.

Answer:

You most likely had a screening mammogram (2 images each of both breasts) and there was an area that needed to be further evaluated found on the right. They are calling you back in for a diagnostic workup (further compression or magnification views and an ultrasound) to evaluate this area. An increased density can be anything from overlapping normal breast tissue, to a cyst or fibroadenoma, to cancer. The description you have thus far is too vague to make any assumptions.

Given your family history and this abnormality seen on mammo, I recommend that you proceed with the workup and any biopsy that might be recommended. It is also a good idea to speak to a specialist (surgical oncologist/breast surgeon) to discuss your personal risk status, given your history and your family history, even if all of this turns out to be benign.

Go to the Breast Cancer health topic, where you can:

Jennifer B Manders, MD Jennifer B Manders, MD