Braces

Braces/impacted tooth

10/16/2006

Question:

I`ve had braces for about 20 months now and was scheduled to get them off in 24 months. When I had my braces put on, I had one baby tooth left that was taking forever to come out, so I had it pulled.

Now the permanent tooth (Its my upper lateral incisor) has become impacted and I have this big space in my mouth. My ortho said he would put in a temporary fake tooth but I`m not sure how he`s going to do that. Are there other treatments for impacted teeth? And will it delay the time I`m suppose to get my braces off?

Answer:

You have not said your age, but if there is a successor lateral incisor, an attempt can be made to uncover that tooth and bring it into the arch.  If there is no permanent successor, then the decision becomes one of maintaining the space for an implant for replacement tooth from a bridge. The other option is to close the space and reshape the cuspid on that side to look like a lateral incisor.

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS
Professor Emeritus - Clinical, Associate of Dentistry