Ears plugged and tight pressure around temple

10/18/2006

Question:

I have had plugged ears and ringing for over a month. it started out with one ear and then the ringing came and then my other ear got plugged.. I have a very tight pressure sensation aroung my temples and my ears get mor tight where they wont pop or click when I eat, drink and sleep.. when I wake up they are so clogged and Ive gone to an ent and had mri and hearing tests. my hearing is still good.. and everyone`s loud voices hurt my ears and I have to ask to turn the tv down.. they are plugged and it feels like they want to clear but they cant.. I can feel my breath go through my ears like there is air floating around in my eardrum and it wants to come out .popps but goes back to being plugged.. If this is eustaition tube disfunction. will it mabe go away after a couple of months..? can it get better.. when I breath in my air goes through my ears and popps and plugges and when I swallow they pop and crunch.. but the tightness is bad I dont know what that is.. is it swollen in there. my doctors says` there is no water or anything in my ears. he gave my steriods in the beginning and then valtrex but nothing works.. I take sudefed and it makes my eare click and pop more but its still plugged and tight.. expecially when I swallow.. I can feel the tightness and plugg.. ok well there ya go.. ..thanx

Answer:

You have enough issues and concerns that you need to get a 2nd opinion from an ear specialist (otologist).  Your symptoms may or may not be related to Eustachian tube dysfunction alone.  There are potential treatments for such a disease.

Ravi N Samy, MD, FACS Ravi N Samy, MD, FACS
Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Skull Base Surgery Fellowship, Director of Adults Cochlear Implantation Program